Friday, September 18, 2009

The Land of Apples and Honey:
Rosh HaShana in Israel

Shana Tova! Happy New Year!


Not to worry, we didn't fly past autumn and enter the month of January just yet. Today at sunset begins the first day of Tishrei, the seventh month in the Jewish calendar, and the beginning of a new year. It is Rosh HaShana! Rosh means head in Hebrew and shana means year.

It is such a festive time in Israel. And I've learned the most interesting things at the Jewish Agency's Absorption Center where I am taking Hebrew classes with hundreds of new “olim” or immigrants.This past week I felt like a little school girl again as the center prepared for our Rosh HaShana assembly, for which my particular class was chosen to sing. With 31 years to my credit, I was quite surprised to find myself so energized and excited about the whole affair.

Yesterday I had to shake my head in disbelief at the ridiculousness of myself as I felt so proud to put on my white "holiday" shirt and trot off to ulpan with six Hebrew songs in my head just waiting to be sung. Not only would it be an assembly of new immigrants, but the Mayer of Ra'anana was to be our guest of honor. He did come in a nice white "holiday" shirt and jeans, of course. He wished us all well as we not only start a new year, but a new life in Israel.

We had the traditional slices of apples that we dipped in honey as a symbol of bringing in a sweet new year. We talked about the custom of having the head of a fish at our holiday dinners (something I will experience tonight). The idea is to remember to be the "head and not the tail". Or in other words, to be leaders in life and not those who simply follow the dictates of others. It is supposed to be good luck to eat the head of the fish, but I think I would rather leave such luck to others!

I still have not fully comprehended the fact that I am a new immigrant. Israel is my country too! I have lived here in the past but I worked in a Christian environment and never really experienced the Jewish Holidays in this way before. This past week was like being introduced to Christmas for the first time and getting a crash course in Christmas carols and all the joys of the holiday. I loved learning the songs, being taught about the traditions and discovering how all these customs enrich my faith. I am looking forward to the holiday dinner tonight at sunset. (I am making the symbolic apple pie!)

So I have decided to cast off all inhibitions and allow myself to be a child again with the wide-eyed wonder that comes from experiencing a whole new world. I can't stop singing and even pealing apples has a special charm!

These traditions bring joy and warmness to the celebration, but for me the most fascinating aspect of this holiday is found in the very source of why the holiday exists. In Leviticus 23:24, God ordained it. In fact there are three God-ordained holy days within the seventh month referred to as "The High Holidays".

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to the children of Israel, saying: 'In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you shall have a sabbath-rest, a memorial of blowing of the trumpets, a holy convocation...Also the tenth day of this seventh month shall be the Day of Atonement. It shall be a holy convocation for you; you shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire to the Lord...The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the Feast of Tabernacles for seven days to the Lord." (Leviticus 24:23-34)

This passage in Leviticus refers to Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur and the Feast of Tabernacles. I hope to write on each of them as the occur. It is indeed a very special time of the year and close to God's heart. Having not grown up in the Jewish traditions, I have much to learn about these days. But it is my desire to mine their riches in order to understand why God gave them and what message He wanted to send through these sacred days.

I look forward to learning more in the coming year as I celebrate Jewish holidays in the light of my faith in my Jewish Messiah. I feel as though I am just learning the abc's of Jewish life and faith, but the idea of the pursuit is exciting and invigorating. It was Yeshua who said, "you must become like children in order to enter the Kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:4).  The more I learn about the Jewish holidays the easier I find it to be simply and wonderfully childlike in faith and wonder!

Shana Tova to all of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment